Welcome to Anhalt University of Applied Sciences, one of the leading research universities in Saxony-Anhalt. Located in the heart of central Germany, Anhalt University’s innovative approach combines international-level research and teaching with excellent study and living conditions. With more than 70 degree programs, we provide students with the freedom to develop their own personalities. Most importantly, we prepare some 7,500 German and international students for a successful career start.
At the Department of Agriculture, Ecotrophology and Landscape Development of the Anhalt University of Applied Sciences, Campus Bernburg, there is a vacancy, from 01.04.2024 (subject to funding approval) for a period of 36 months for the part-time position (65%) of a PhD student (m/f/x), No. 351 Bioanalytics and molecular biology to be filled.
The employment relationship is based on the collective agreement for the public service of the federal states. The appointment is made in pay group 13 TV-L. The position is based at the Professorship of Organic and Inorganic Chemistry and part of the research project "AgriRestore - Ecosystem and landscape restoration across spatial and temporal scales to enhance biodiversity and climate resilience in agricultural landscapes". The project, funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG) as part of the program Research Impulses, aims to evaluate various measures for the ecological restoration of ecosystems and to understand the key indicators for the restoration of agricultural landscapes. Therefore, field and mesocosm experiments are carried out in the extremely dry and partly very poorly structured agricultural landscape of Saxony-Anhalt and combined with remote sensing and ecological modelling approaches for spatial scaling. Specifically, the advertised position focuses on investigations of the effects of restoration measures on soil chemistry and the soil and rhizosphere microbiome (prokaryotes and fungi).
Your tasks will include:
• planning, implementation and evaluation of field studies on microbial diversity and soil characteristics in agricultural soils
• investigation of the effects of restoration measures on soil chemistry and nutrient availability for plants as well as dispersal and recolonization processes by microorganisms using high-throughput DNA sequencing (NGS, next generation sequencing, DNA metabarcoding)
• modelling of microbial biodiversity in different soils with diverse vegetation covers
• investigation of the effect of temporary (flower strips) and permanent landscape structures (field margins and hedges) on the growth and resilience of neighboring crops (stress markers, metabolites)
• presentation of the results at scientific conferences and publication in international journals Requirements:
• academic degree (university diploma or master's degree) in the field of molecular ecology, molecular biology, biology, chemistry, environmental sciences or comparable disciplines
• practical laboratory experience such as DNA isolation and sequencing, (q)PCR, analytical chemistry and enzyme tests
• knowledge of bioinformatics and the analysis of DNA sequences
• very good statistical and analytical skills • very good knowledge of German and English (written and spoken)
• practical field ecology experience (environmental DNA) and knowledge of agricultural practice are an advantage
• possible on-site assignments require a corresponding willingness to be mobile
We are looking for personalities with an independent way of working, a high level of motivation, the ability to work under pressure and good communication skills who enjoy working in a team.
Please send us an official proof of equivalence with a German qualification for an educational qualification obtained abroad.
For further information please visit https://www.kmk.org/zab/zeugnisbewertung.html.
You can expect:
• participation in a future-oriented, interdisciplinary research project
• support and networking within the framework of the Graduate Academy and the PhD Centre of Life Science at Anhalt University of Applied Sciences as well as the yet to be established Excellence Centre for Landscape and Habitat Restoration
• outstanding research opportunities at one of the strongest research universities for applied sciences in Germany
• flexible and family-friendly working models
• demand-oriented qualification opportunities
• the benefits of a collective agreement in the public sector, transparent pay, 30 days' holiday (with a 5-day week)
• the granting of an annual bonus and capital-forming benefits
• a company pension scheme via the Federal and State Pension Scheme (VBL)
• responsible introduction and support
• a diverse university sports program
Anhalt University of Applied Sciences strives to increase the career opportunities of women. Women are therefore expressly encouraged to apply. For severely disabled persons, the provisions of SGB IX apply in the case of equal suitability, ability and professional performance.
If you have any questions regarding the position, please contact: Prof. Dr. Wilfried Rozhon (wilfried.rozhon(at)hs-anhalt.de) and Dr. Jörg Geistlinger (joerg.geistlinger(at)hs-anhalt.de)
Please use the Anhalt University of Applied Sciences online portal under Hochschule Stellenangebote and then klick EN for the English version.
Please apply until 20 February 2024:
By clicking on the link, you agree to the storage and processing of your data for the purpose of the application process.
The interviews are expected to take place online in calendar weeks 9 and 10. Your documents/data will be deleted or destroyed in accordance with data protection regulations once the recruitment process has been completed. Please understand that we will not be able to cover any costs incurred in connection with the application or in connection with at tending interviews.